Pages

Wednesday 5 September 2018

Day 130: Junk food

Ohhhh buddy. I have been wiped out today. I don’t even know why. I’ve just got so little energy of late. I had a good day yesterday and used up my energy, and today I had none left. I played Zelda in bed. I roamed through quiet snowfields and over desolate mountains, I found ruins of temples, I cooked potions, I crept around monster camps and battled the monsters and picked up the doo-dads they dropped.

I watched a few episodes of Orange is the New Black, which show I’ve never got round to watching before. I thought it was good. I liked the world building of the prison as an environment, I liked the characters. The balance of cynicism and positivity, of feel-good comedy and sense of peril, is not easy to get right, and it looks like they have done here, mostly.

Umm. I read some Naomi Klein. I watched a video on game design by a guy I like on YouTube. The algorithms on YouTube incentivise video makers to put out continuous low quality content, to splurge out list features and clickbait nonsense about why x franchise has failed and y piece of media will not live up to the hype, and it’s just so much white noise, so much shite, clogging our ears and eyes and brains, everyone yelling louder to make themselves heard over the din, which increases the din, so everyone yells even louder…

And so when you find people putting out difficult, complex, reasoned stuff on YouTube, and you know they’re not making much money but they’re doing it anyway, it’s such a breath of fresh air. Videos that takes months to create, say something worth saying, and yet get a fraction of the views of the crap that everyone else is tossing off twice a day. That stuff is precious. It’s worth celebrating, worth being grateful for, because there are so many factors encouraging the creators to not do it that way. 

It’s like everyone within that sphere is saying how you can get rich by selling ultra-processed junk food, how that's the only viable way to make money, yet a few people would still rather stay poor yet cook meals that are worth eating. And that is good. People like that are good.

OK, I'm done, I'm gonna go pass out. Noight noight.

No comments:

Post a Comment