Pages

Friday 22 February 2019

Day 300: Float

Ung, stayed up half the night browsing for cheap laptops - I need something for writing on the go, my old laptop got stepped on by my ex’s dog. I could get the screen replaced, but it’s looking like £100-£200 to fix, and it’s a huge and cumbersome laptop anyway, it doesn’t even fit in my normal bag, I need to take it in a separate one, which kinda ruins the portability aspect. So the other option is to save that laptop for when my desktop dies - they’re similarly specced - and connect my keyboard and mouse and monitor to it when that happens, run it as a desktop for a good number of years before having to upgrade my main machine - and meanwhile buy a little cheap thing for typing on the go before then. I’m on the road working with Steve next week, and it was a nightmare trying to type up posts on my phone last time. But if I was doing that what would I go for? A Chromebook, with paltry specs, but running the lightweight Chrome OS, with access only to web applications? A Microsoft Surface Go tablet with the connected keyboard, with a nicer screen, and Windows 10, but expensive for what it is? A bargain basement, no-frills HP laptop? One of the 2-in-1 tablet/laptop combos for a little bit more, but with far more functionality? But then if I’m spending more would it be better to put it on the RAM and SSD of a basic laptop rather than a touchscreen and a reversible hinged keyboard?

The models and numbers swim before me. I should go to bed. But I have to write my blog first, and I’m too tired to write my blog, so I click one more page on the PC World website, watch a couple more product reviews on YouTube, float in the gentle sea of specifications a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment