Pages

Saturday 9 March 2019

Day 315: Dolly

Hullo. I’ve been watching the first episode of The Umbrella Academy. It’s the only thing I’ve been doing, other than working. Want me to tell you about the first episode of The Umbrella Academy?

I hope so. Because I've got nothing else to say.

It’s preposterous. It’s ludicrous. It’s glam as fuck. I think I love it.

Adapted from a Dark Horse comic written by Gerard Way, lead singer of emo band nonpareil My Chemical Romance, it’s a sort of hi-camp X-Men family drama about a superhero team of gifted kids, now grown-up (apart from the one who travels through time and has been gone for forty years but then returns still looking like a child) (and the one who’s dead), who must band together despite their differences to uncover the plot behind the death of their emotionally elusive foster father (perhaps orchestrated by one of their number), and also to save the world, which is going to end (according to the time-travelling child) in eight days.

There’s a chimpanzee butler who talks with an English accent. Ellen Page plays the only one of the children to not exhibit any powers (yet!!!). One of them can talk to the dead. One of them turns into a horrendous monster and tears people apart.

It’s mental. It’s X-Men as directed by Wes Anderson. Watchmen crossed with The Black Parade. It has no shame, no modesty, not even a shred of self-doubt. It’s basically: imagine if Dolly Parton was an emo, and wrote a graphic novel.

I’m only one episode in, but you can bet I’m watching more.

And I might squeeze one in now, and then bed. Working the open tomorrow, which isn’t great, but is better than working the close. And only four more days, and then another Wednesday review, and then I get an actual day off! Splendid.

Bubyeeee x

No comments:

Post a Comment