Pages

Monday 25 March 2019

Day 332: Reyt

Little bus sketch, trying to reconstruct overheard snatches of conversation...

"Oh look who it is. Ahreyt?"

"Ahreyt."

"What you been up to?"

"Same shit, different day."

"That's it, innit?"

"That's all it is these days. That's all it is."

"Aye."

"What about you?"

"Nowt. Same. Just working for food fe' babbies."

"You got... two still?"

"Aye. One's one and one's... three."

"Mad."

"Aye it's mad."

"Still wi their mam?"

"Nah. Nah. Still see the little-uns as much as I can like. Every other weekend. Couple a times in the week. It's what you have to do."

"You know, it makes me so mad. These men who get their girls pregnant and fuck off, it's reyt bad. It's..."

"..."

"Oh, no, I know you didn't do that... I remember she were a nightmare anyway."

"..."

"Sorry, but you know me. I have to say it like it is. I'm reyt bad that way. And I have to say she were a nightmare. I remember her being a nightmare, no offence."

"Yeah. It's reyt I spose. We're not together no more, are we?"

"Yeah, true."

"..."

"..."

"I'm the same anyway. Broke up with my fella... ooh... in October. Just been looking after mesen since then."

"Aye."

"Aye. Getting up. Going to work. That's what I'm ont bus for. They messed up my holidays. Called me up this morning, said they needed me to come in. I were like, ye what?"

"That's literally it, innit. They don't care."

"Nah, none of em care."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"I reyt want a drink now, you know?"

"Aye."

"You need one after work, don't you?"

"A bottle of wine."

"...Or two."

"Aye."

"Aye. But yeah, I'm not with Dan no more. I were bad when we were together. I'm looking after mesen now. But I were bad. Eight stone, by the end, I were. It were all that powder every night, you know?"

"It's bad, innit? I were doing too much as well."

"I had to stop. It were reyt bad."

"You can't go out and not do it, though, can you?"

"That's it, innit?"

"That's it."

"Yeah, I just do it when I go out now."

"You've got to when you go out. Everyone's on it."

"Literally everyone's on it."

"You say to yourself you're not going to do it, and then someone offers you some, and then you can't say no."

"That's why I just do it on nights out now. But before, with Dan, I were doing it all the time. In the house all the time. It were bad. I had to stop. I barely do it now."

"Aye."

"Aye."

"..."

"We're getting old, aren't we?"

"It's mad. I'm getting such a gut."

"Nah, you're looking OK. But I used to be reyt good at running, these days I get out of breath walking to the top of my road for the bus."

"I remember you were always the best runner at school."

"It's so long ago now, innit?"

"Aye. All in the past."

"..."

"..."

"Can you believe we're twenty three, eh?"

"I'll be twenty four next month."

"Twenty four."

"Aye".

"Aye."

"We're getting old."

"..."

"..."

No comments:

Post a Comment